A few weeks ago I had a hysterical conversation with one of my kids. It was the kind of conversation that made me laugh while in the midst of having it because of the sheer genius, "kid"ness and especially BOYness of it.
So you probably guessed that the "kid" is Justin. Justin just turned 11 and he is showing major signs of being caught between NeverNever Land and Manhood. Some days I see glimmers of the young man he is becoming. Other days I just shake my head and say, "Yup, he's all boy......"
Right now Justin has a Love/Hate relationship with the concept of ever ever ever ever liking girls. On one hand, he likes his sisters, even enjoys spending time with them, playing with them, he will even concede that they are cute little girls. But when questioned as to whether or not HE would ever "like" a girl as a prospective mate, he recoils in horror.....which is kind of funny to watch, if I do say so myself.....
SO - my sister recently got engaged to a wonderful guy whom all the kids are excited to call Uncle Mark. And with the engagement come wedding plans which entirely excites my three girly-girls, but mildly disgusts my All-Boy young man. Since weddings, marriage and husbands are in the thought patterns of my girls right now, the following conversation ensued:
Megan: When me get older, me is gonna marry Justin. 'Cause I like him and he play Legos with me.
Mama: Aww, that's really sweet. But brothers and sisters don't get married to each other.
Megan: Oh, OK.
Mama: Justin, did you hear that? Your baby sister thinks a lot of you.
Justin: Yeah.
Mama: Megan, one day Justin will probably marry a young woman.
Katie: (chiming in the conversation) Yeah, and then he will get married and he and his wife will KISS!
Justin: *Bleh*.
Mama: What did you say? Blehhhhh???
Justin: No, not blehhhhhh. Just *bleh*.
Mama: What do you mean by that? Are you disgusted at the thought of kissing?
Justin: Yeah. Not a ton, but not now.
Mama: Does it gross you out when Mama and Papa kiss?
Justin: No. That's OK. Because you're married.
Mama: Does it gross you out to go to a wedding and see the bride and groom kiss?
Justin: No. That's OK too. Because *they're married*!
Mama: But you just don't want to kiss until you're married.
Justin: Yeah, I guess. But right now it's just *bleh.*
I am writing this for posterity's sake.......one day, possibly in the Somewhat Near Future, I will be re-reading this to my firstborn and reminding him that kissing is *bleh* until you're married. I'm sure he'll understand.
I absolutely love this post. I read it to Mark and he was chuckling pretty hard at the end. I love that kid and I'm very thankful hethinks kissing before marriage is "bleh". Keep up the good work Mama and Papa Smith ;)
ReplyDelete