Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kid Speak

Sitting at the breakfast table this morning, I am listening to the conversations between my KayKay and Meggie-girl.  Katie speaks in a more grown-up, fully five-year old tone of voice. Megan still retains her adorable half-baby, but using "grown-up words" speak. She is so enchanting when she speaks! She has a cute little squeaky voice, but it is CHOCK-full of inflection! And she continues to substitute the word, "me" for the word, "I". This makes for some of the cutest phrases ever spoken by a three-year old!  Such as:

Me is finished with my bweakfust. Me ate it all up!

Just this morning Megan informed me that, "One, two, fwee, fouah, five. When me is five, me will eat gubblegum. But not now. Me is only fwee."

In case you didn't understand that, Megan will it BUBBLEGUM when she is five. Just not yet.  :-)

I rather prefer "gubblegum". It's a lot more fun to say!

A thought struck me today as I was listening to Megan talk. One day, sometime in the Not So Distant future, Megan will begin to talk correctly. She will correctly use her pronouns, and I won't have to translate from what Megan says to what Megan means. I may not even notice the day it changes. But I know already that I will wake up one day and realize that my baby girl has shed the last vestiges of babyhood. And that will deeply sadden me.

So for now, I delight in every sentence, in every misspoken word, in every lisp and ill-used pronoun. One day she will speak correctly.

But for today, I will be happy to hear the stories of what, "me" has done, and to listen to her talk about gubblegum. And since I'm writing this down, I will read back on this post years later and remember the entrancing conversations I've had with my Meggie-girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment