Sunday, June 19, 2011

Firefly Magic

One sign that summer is upon us is the arrival of fireflies, or lightning bugs (as they are also called) There is something utterly relaxing and magical about sitting outside on a hot summer evening, looking out across your backyard, or up and down your street and seeing these little curious insects.  Little flashes of greenish light appear out of nowhere, and then just as quickly disappear again.

My kids love the arrival of the fireflies. This past week, my four oldest kids *begged* me to stay up late, on more than one occasion, so that they could  stay outside catch lightning bugs, or as Megan says it, "fiah fwies". It's hard for me to say "no" to them - I remember all too well the fascination I had with fireflies......

My mom and dad are both from Iowa. So they are very familiar with "life in the Midwest". I spent the from the age of two to age 9 in the state of Utah. There's a lot that's different between these two regions of the country: the weather, the climate, the elevation, the amount of snow (just to name a few).  Almost every year, we would make the LONG drive from Salt Lake City to Iowa and spend time visiting all the family.  There were so may things that were fun about our time in Iowa. But a few memories stick out when it comes to the subject of fireflies.

I remember one year going up to Shell Rock, IA to visit my mom's parents.  My mom's sister and her husband lived close by to my grandparents, and they had two young boys. I was a year younger than her youngest boy, Ben, so we hung out a lot when I came to visit.  One summer evening while I was visiting, Ben asked me if I'd like to help him catch lightning bugs. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I was probably under the age of 5. Now, in Utah, they don't HAVE lightning bugs.......so even the mere presence of these magical flashing creatures was an amazement to me. But the thought of CATCHING them enthralled me! Until it came down to actually catching them. My two cousins thought I was quite strange when the only way I would catch the bugs was with their net. In turn, I remember being amazed at their bravery to HOLD the bugs in their hands!!!!!

At the end of the evening, we had a jar chock-full of blinking, glowing fireflies. I was entranced.  From then on, every time we came to Iowa, I went out and caught as many fireflies as I could possibly catch and put them in a jar so I could have a firefly nightlight in my bedroom. It was so weirdly amazing to go to sleep watching the flashing lights of these little creatures. Unfortunately, my fascination ended many lightning bug lives, but that's beside the point.......

Years later, when my family moved to Oklahoma (after a five-year stay in Texas), I was beyond excited when I saw that there were FIREFLIES in Oklahoma!!!!!  For me, the arrival of fireflies in the summer reminds me of late nights out with my cousins, They remind me of my sweet Grandma Doris who always sacrificed a jar and lid for me to catch and keep the fireflies. They remind me of numerous vacation trips back to Iowa. And they remind me of a time when amazement could come from the simplest of things, even flashing rear ends of bugs. 

When my Meggie came running into the house this past week and excitedly exclaimed, "MAMA! There is fiah fwies outside!!! Me is gonna catch some!", it was a reminder to myself: Cherish the moments - help your children soak in all the wonder of God's world and the amazement of the little things. And don't forget to be amazed at the simple things in life.

Even a firefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment