I found this recipe through the wonderful tool we call a search engine. Seriously, how cool are search engines? I typed in "Ancient Roman Dessert Recipes" and within 20 minutes, I found this one! I will say in reading through some typical Roman recipes, I am very glad that I did not live during the Roman Empire. (The food being only one reason I'm glad.....ask my kids sometime about the Roman public toilets. Ew.)
But back to food. We have just finished up studying about the Roman Empire in our homeschool studies. We've been studying both World and Bible History during the time of the great Caesars of Rome - from Julius Caesar (who was actually just a dictator) through Caesar Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero. To cap it off, we recently watched the movies "The Robe" and "Ben-Hur" with the kids, both incredible stories set in the midst of the Roman empire, one during the reign of Caligula, and one during the reign of Tiberius. The kids loved seeing the clothing, architecture, writings, etc. that they have been reading about since the beginning of the school year.
All this culminated in our great Roman Feast last night. We ate chicken, lettuce-carrot-and-pea salad, cut pears, deviled eggs, dates, cheese, bread, grape juice, and a wonderful dessert. That brings us back to our Glorious Roman Apple Cake.
This is a simple recipe. I would DEFINITELY encourage you to try it! And I'm even including a picture to whet your appetite!!!
| GLORIOUS ROMAN APPLE CAKE | |
3 c. flour 2 c. sugar 2 tsp. soda 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1 c. milk 2 eggs 2 tsp. vanilla 4 med. apples, grated TOPPING: 1 c. brown sugar 4 tbsp. flour 4 tbsp. butter 4 tbsp. cinnamon 1 c. nuts Mix first 5 ingredients. Add milk and eggs. Add grated apples and vanilla. Cover with topping mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. (I baked it in a greased 9x13 glass pan) Doesn't that just make you want to drop everything and go bake? Mmmmmm...... | |
No comments:
Post a Comment