Saturday, January 29, 2011

Is it time for a Mocha?

Oh my goodness. I'm so tired. Seems like that's a regular statement coming out of my mouth these days. Baby #5 has sent me over the edge in my caffeine consumption. And before you comment and tell me That's Not Good For You, let me tell you that I Already Know That. But life happens at a very fast pace here in the Smith House, and sometimes to keep up with the Highly Energetic Five Smith Kids, Mama just needs a Mocha. Somedays I need two. And a Dr. Pepper.

So although I'm dragging physically, I decided to sit down and start blogging afresh. I blogged on a different site for quite a few years now. It used to be almost a daily occurrence for me to sit down and write at least a little blurb of what was happening in our busy household.

I don't quite know what happened. I think it might have something to do with the Highly Energetic Five Smith Kids. But that's just a guess.

Whatever the reason, I have missed recording the little snippets of conversations that happen here in our household. Or writing down some of the things God has laid on my heart through the course of the day. And as I recently went back through years of old blogposts, I realized something. Taking the time to record these little insights has a three-fold benefit. First of all, I can share what life is like with family and friends who care. Secondly, going back through old posts sparks some fun conversations with the kids. Remember when Justin had the invisible friend with banana colored hair? Remember when Allison told the story about the Wood Wonsens? Remember when I accidentally put jalepenos instead of green chilies into the chili? All these written reminders have become part of our family history. And reading back through them helps me to remember and recount them to my family. Thirdly, the things I blogged about remind me of the fleeting precious moments with young children. With children who are now on the verge of pre-adolescence, I sometimes forget those sweet moments of life. Reading back through them reminds me to treasure the insignificance of moments, whether it's playing in the snow, or reading a book, or making cookies, or telling jokes.....sometimes these seemingly insignificant moments are actually the foundations of memories. And I never know when a silly little thing will the "Last Time" something is done. Justin's imaginary friends are no longer living with us, Allison doesn't remember telling about the Wood Wonsens, but through the magic of my blog posts, I can relive and retell those memories.

So I don't really mind whether anyone reads these posts or not. They are mostly for me, as my kids grow up and grow out of their cute little slip-ups, as the magic of imagination fades and the concreteness of adulthood comes upon them, as the thrill of the mundane slips away with the reality of everyday. They are for me so I can come back and remember.

And I'll probably have a big steaming Mocha in my hand as I do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment