Monday, March 21, 2011

Mmm....mmmm......Turkey Meatballs!!!!

Happy National Ravioli Day!  I don't remember how I discovered this fact today, but soon after reading it, I thought to myself, "HEY! I know what we're going to have for dinner tonight!"

That's right, Tuna Casserole!

Just kidding. We had ravioli.

And along with the ravioli, I decided to try my hand at something I've not done before - cooking with ground turkey. I did a quick search online and came up with the following recipe for turkey meatballs. They were AWESOME!  Even Jordy-Baby ate two of them! I used a whole pound of ground turkey, and we ate up the entire batch. Thought I'd share my find........
GROUND TURKEY MEATBALLS 

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1639,155189-243195,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 c. bread crumbs (fine)
1/4 c. fresh or 1 tbsp. dry parsley
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Mix and shape into 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Saute in large skillet until browned and no longer pink.
SAUCE:
1 (16 oz.) can whole tomatoes, cut up
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 c. chicken broth
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 clove garlic, minced
Add all the sauce ingredients to meatball mixture. Bring to boil. Simmer covered until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot pasta.


I didn't make the sauce recipe, although it looks good and fairly simple. What I ended up doing was making up very small meatballs, browning them in a skillet with olive oil, then putting them in a bigger skillet with canned spaghetti sauce. I brought it to a low boil, then reduced the heat, covered the skillet and simmered for approximately 15 minutes.  They were oh so very tasty!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for new recipes to use up my ground turkey! This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete